My photo
Boise, Idaho, United States
ARTIST

Artist's Bio

Art is my first language. I remember observing the colors in a sunset before learning how to read. This passion for color and observation led me to become an artist with a penchant for fresh air and intrigue in the mystery of nature.

Growing up in the sheltered Pennsylvania forest with daily images of moss underfoot and leaf filtered sky left space for plenty of dreaming and solitary time in nature. This deep connection to the aesthetic of the natural environment informs my artwork. Themes of lens, space and time occur in all of my media. Exploration in surface and layer is repeated in my work. At times my art is realistic and graphic in nature, and others it becomes very tactile and uses the medium to fully explore a texture. Each day I unfold new work in my home studio.

Art comes from an ephemeral experience. A fleeting moment can inspire a passionate fluidity in line and color. It can also be gained through knowing about your environment and the history that occurred over time in ones places of inspiration.

As an artist that wants to preserve the western landscape, I recall the forms of earth I visit, reviving them with clay and paint. At times I will mix basalt from local cliffs into my ceramics and reform the earth in my kiln. I am led to define my vibrant composition by the draining of snowmelt in the hills and the way it carves the land while journeying to the river. Dark recesses occurring naturally in rock and earth are my shades, while the colors at the close of each day, which are most saturated, define my palette.

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Spunky New tumblers!

I am hoping to keep better at updated my studio adventures!! More to come!! For now, here is a peek at my wacky cups! These are wheel thrown, carved and under glazed, fired and sanded, and then finally glaze fired! These little vessels make me happy!! Salute!!



No comments: